Interview of Gary K. Bates
Dancer, choreographer, and dance teacher.
- Bates, Gary K.
- Persons Present:
- Bates and Kaufman. Kirk was present for the first five interviews, occasionally asking questions, and conducted the interview session that occurred on November 12, 1994 (tape four).
- Place Conducted:
- Bates' home in Los Angeles, California. The session on November 21, 1994 (tape five) is a talk given to UCLA Professor David Gere's Philosophy in Dance class and was recorded at UCLA's Fowler Museum of Cultural History.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- In preparation for the interview, Kaufman reviewed a variety of materials relating to Bates’ career, especially the oral histories of Bella Lewitzky and Alma Hawkins contained in the collection of the UCLA Oral History Program. Because Bates's personal archives had been destroyed, some documentation was unavailable.
- Processing of Interview:
- The transcript is a verbatim transcription of the recording. The transcript was transcribed by the interviewer. Bates did not review the transcript, and therefore some proper names may remain unverified. Subsequent to Bates' death, the interviewer reviewed the transcript. The interviewer also provided an introduction to the interview.
- 363 pages
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.