Interview of James D. Bissell
Production designer with credits that include Suburbicon; Good Night, and Good Luck; 300, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind; Jumanji; The Falcon and the Snowman; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial; and Palmerstown, U.S.A.
- The Crafts in Hollywood: Production Design
- Film and Television
- Bissell, James D.
- Persons Present:
- Bissell and Collings. Bissell's daughter was present during session three.
- Place Conducted:
- Bissell's home in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library’s Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Jane Collings, principal editor and interviewer, UCLA Center for Oral History Research; Ph.D., Critical Studies in Film and Television, UCLA.
- Processing of Interview:
- The interviewer prepared a timed log of the audio recording of the interview. Bissell was given the opportunity to review the log in order to supply missing or misspelled names and to verify the accuracy of the content but made no changes.
- 7 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series of interviews was undertaken in collaboration with the Art Directors Guild. Its aim is to document the lives and work of Guild members and staff who have made a significant contribution to film and television history. Interviews capture the work of title artists, set designers, art directors, production designers, and many other categories. The contribution of labor unions in shaping the conditions of the work is also addressed.