Interview of Molly Joseph
Assistant art director at NBC. Notable shows include The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson and the Rose Bowl Parade live broadcast.
- The Crafts in Hollywood: Production Design
- Film and Television
- Joseph, Molly
- Persons Present:
- Joseph and Collings.
- Place Conducted:
- Joseph's office at Universal Studios in Hollywood, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Jane Collings, principal editor and interviewer, UCLA Center for Oral History Research; Ph.D., Critical Studies in Film and Television, UCLA.
- Processing of Interview:
- The interviewer prepared a timed log of the audio recording of the interview. Joseph was given the opportunity to review the log in order to supply missing or misspelled names and to verify the accuracy of the content. The corrections made were entered into the text without further editing or review on the part of the Center for Oral History Research staff. Joseph supplied the biographical information.
- 1.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series of interviews was undertaken in collaboration with the Art Directors Guild. Its aim is to document the lives and work of Guild members and staff who have made a significant contribution to film and television history. Interviews capture the work of title artists, set designers, art directors, production designers, and many other categories. The contribution of labor unions in shaping the conditions of the work is also addressed.
Early life and arts education--Moves to Los Angeles and begins work in exhibits and animation--Studies production design at the American Film Institute--Begins work at NBC--Daughter's work in production design--Does some production design in film--The hectic pace of work in production design--Work at NBC begins to revolve around oversight of NBC branding--The rapid adoption of computer technologies in production design work--Does the set for the NBC coverage of the Rose Parade every year--A freelance, contractor-based working model is now the norm in production design.