Interview of Jay Ruby
Temple University professor of anthropology. Founding member of the Society for the Anthropology of Visual Communication. Interviewed because of connection to Coffee House Positano: A Bohemian Oasis in Malibu.
- Community HistoryLiterature
- Biographical Note:
- Temple University professor of anthropology. Founding member of the Society for the Anthropology of Visual Communication. Interviewed because of connection to Coffee House Positano: A Bohemian Oasis in Malibu.
- Ruby, Jay
- Persons Present:
- Ruby and Collings.
- Place Conducted:
- Young Research Library, UCLA.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Jane Collings, interviewer and principal editor, Center for Oral History Research. B.A., Communications, Antioch College; M.A., Communications, University of Iowa; Ph.D., Critical Studies, UCLA. Collings prepared for the interview by reviewing research that Ruby had conducted for his book Coffee House Positano: A Bohemian Oasis in Malibu, 1957-1962.
- Processing of Interview:
- COHR program staff prepared a timed log of the audio recording of the interview, as well as the interview history. Ruby supplied the biographical summary. Ruby was given the opportunity to review the log in order to supply missing or misspelled names and to verify the accuracy of the content but made no changes.
- 4.25 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
Ruby's academic training and background--Positano Coffee House in Malibu--Bohemianism in Los Angeles--Positano community members--Arts events at Positano--Political persuasions of Positano community members--Literary circles that include Anais Nin, Larry Lipton, Henry Miller.
Positano is known locally as "the property"-- Positano as compared to Budwood--Jerry Ziegman's tenure at Positano--Positano tenants--Daily life and community structure--The fire that destroys the property.