Interview of Carl Burnett
Latin jazz drummer.
- Beyond Central: Carl Burnett
- Beyond Central
- African American HistoryMusic
- Burnett, Carl
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Stephen L. Isoardi, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., government, University of San Francisco; M.A., political science, UCLA; Ph.D.; political science, UCLA. Isoardi prepared for the interview by consulting jazz histories, autobiographies, oral histories, and relevant periodicals, listened to recordings, and viewed personal archival materials when made available.
- 8 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- Interviews in this series extend the UCLA Oral History Program's "Central Avenue Sounds" series and preserve the spoken memories of musicians who were active in the jazz music scene in Los Angeles from the 1950s to the 1970s. This series includes a broad range of interviewees, some of whom are well known and others who may be less known, who were chosen to document their specific point of view, contribution, role, or experience. Particular areas of focus include the African American musicians' community and the development and emergence of the so-called jazz avant-garde in Los Angeles.