Interview of Barry Hansen
Radio broadcaster for the Los Angeles station KPPC- FM and manager of the Westwood One Radio Network. Creator of the persona Dr. Demento.
- View of a Culture: Presenting Rock Music in Los Angeles, 1960s - 1970s: Barry Hansen
- View of a Culture: Presenting Rock Music in Los Angeles, 1960s-1970s
- Biographical Note:
- Radio broadcaster for the Los Angeles station KPPC- FM and manager of the Westwood One Radio Network. Creator of the persona Dr. Demento.
- Hansen, Barry
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Alex Cline, interviewer, UCLA Library Center for Oral History Research. Cline has spent a considerable amount of his career as a jazz drummer/musician in Los Angeles.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series includes interviews with individuals involved in behind-the-scenes or on-the-air presentation of rock music in Los Angeles area during its critical period of growth and importance, the 1960s and 1970s. It focuses on both the music itself and the culture that accompanied it as rock music developed from popular dance music into a significant art form and as much of it emerged from underground into mainstream culture.