Interview of Allen Scates
UCLA head volleyball coach. Interviewed because of connection to J.D. Morgan, UCLA tennis coach and athletic director.
- Right Man at the Right Time: J. D. Morgan
- Right Man at the Right Time: J.D. Morgan
- SportsUCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA Intercollegiate Athletics Staff
- Biographical Note:
- UCLA head volleyball coach. Interviewed because of connection to J.D. Morgan, UCLA tennis coach and athletic director.
- Scates, Allen
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for ORal History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series documents the contribution of UCLA Athletics Coach J.D. Morgan through interviews with individuals who had worked with Morgan both inside and outside the UCLA community.
- Allen Scates on his memories of J. D. Morgan: Status of volleyball as an intercollegiate sport in early l960s; Morgan’s support of UCLA volleyball program; Relationship with Scates; A story about the relative importance of volleyball and basketball; Keeping up on all sports; Modernization looming at Morgan’s retirement; Morgan’s work and personal habits; Attempts to formalize competition in volleyball; Morgan’s role in maintaining good relations among UCLA coaches; Maintaining strength in volleyball program; Promotional activities of UCLA News Bureau; Departmental meetings; Scheduling; Morgan’ s budget control; Hiring coaches; Closed-door meetings with football and basketball coaches; Relative prominence of football and basketball at UCLA; Morgan’s assistance in recruiting; Administrative style; National reputation; Attitude toward alumni support; Carrot and goat; Staying on at UCLA; Advantages and disadvantages of coaching at UCLA; Preserving the status quo before Morgan’s retirement; The right man at the right time.