Interview of Fred Hessler
UCLA football and basketball announcer. Interviewed because of connection to J.D. Morgan, UCLA tennis coach and athletic director.
- Right Man at the Right Time: J. D. Morgan
- Right Man at the Right Time: J.D. Morgan
- SportsUCLA Intercollegiate Athletics StaffUCLA and University of California History
- Hessler, Fred
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series documents the contribution of UCLA Athletics Coach J.D. Morgan through interviews with individuals who had worked with Morgan both inside and outside the UCLA community.
- Fred Hessler on his memories of J. D. Morgan: Perceptions of UCLA’s athletic program prior to Morgan’s tenure; Contact with Morgan as tennis coach; Morgan’s appointment as athletic director; As prototype of the “new” athletic director; Removing Bill Barnes as head football coach; Morgan: “I am an excellent driver”; Rose Bowl representation controversy and point system; Morgan as negotiator; Relationship with Wooden; Arranging the Astrodome basketball extravaganza; Morgan’s criticism of officiating; Wooden and Morgan; Morgan’s skill in college sports marketing; As departmental troubleshooter; Relationship with the press; Broadcasting intercollegiate athletics; PCC breakup, Pac-8 expansion; Morgan’s attitude toward infractions of NCAA rules; NCAA control versus campus control of intercollegiate athletic programs.