Interview of Wiles Hallock
Pac-10 and Western Athletic Conference commissioner. Interviewed because of connection to J.D. Morgan, UCLA tennis coach and athletic director.
- Right Man at the Right Time: J. D. Morgan
- Right Man at the Right Time: J.D. Morgan
- SportsUCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA Intercollegiate Athletics Staff
- Biographical Note:
- Pac-10 and Western Athletic Conference commissioner. Interviewed because of connection to J.D. Morgan, UCLA tennis coach and athletic director.
- Hallock, Wiles
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series documents the contribution of UCLA Athletics Coach J.D. Morgan through interviews with individuals who had worked with Morgan both inside and outside the UCLA community.
- Wiles Hallock on his memories of J. D. Morgan: Initial professional contacts with Morgan; Morgan’s appointment as athletic director; Issues on the NCAA Basketball Tournament Committee; Morgan’s attitude toward officiating; Title IX and women’s athletics; Morgan’s stature in the conference; Personal qualities; Relations among athletic directors; UCLA’s special relationship with USC; Morgan and John McKay; Morgan’s stature in NCAA; Advocacy of the 2.0 rule; Formula for choosing the conference’s Rose Bowl representative; Controversy surrounding Super Bowl played in Rose Bowl; Issue of conference teams playing in bowl games other than Rose Bowl; Morgan’s role in Rose Bowl preparations; Transcript violations of 1977; Relationships between Morgan and UCLA faculty representatives; Relationship between Morgan and Young; Admissions standards in the conference; Morgan’s impact on intercollegiate athletics; Vision of present and future of intercollegiate athletics.