Interview of William C. Ackerman
UCLA’s first head tennis coach. Executive director of the Associated Students of UCLA. Interviewed because of connection to J.D. Morgan, UCLA tennis coach and athletic director.
- Right Man at the Right Time: J. D. Morgan
- Right Man at the Right Time: J.D. Morgan
- SportsUCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA Intercollegiate Athletics Staff
- Ackerman, William C.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series documents the contribution of UCLA Athletics Coach J.D. Morgan through interviews with individuals who had worked with Morgan both inside and outside the UCLA community.
- William C. Ackerman on his memories of J. D. Morgan: Early contacts with J. D. Morgan as student-athlete from Oklahoma; As tennis player and tennis coach; Return from war and work for ASUCLA; Appointment as athletic director; Relationship with Wooden; Choice of coaches as athletic director; UCLA and USC baseball teams; Morgan’s effectiveness as tennis coach; Tennis tournaments at UCLA; Family life; Personal relationship with Ackerman; Women’s athletics; Relationship with press; Morgan’s prominence in NCAA business; Highlights of Morgan’s life; Disappointments; Rules and regulations in college sport; Morgan’s divorce.