Interview of Robert F. Heinecken
Photographer and UCLA professor of art.
- Photographist: Robert F. Heinecken
- Biographical Note:
- Photographer and UCLA professor of art.
- Heinecken, Robert F.
- Persons Present:
- Heinecken and Lehmer.
- Place Conducted:
- Heinecken's home studio in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Stephen K. Lehmer, Photography Area Manager, Department of Art, UCLA; B.F.A., photography, San Francisco Art Institute; M.F.A., photography, California Institute of the Arts. Lehmer prepared for the interview by Lehmer consulting available books and catalogs on Heinecken's work as well as articles, reviews, and correspondence from various periodicals about or by Heinecken. He also examined materials from the Robert Heinecken archive at the Center for Creative Photography at the University of Arizona and additional materials supplied by Heinecken himself. Finally, Lehmer drew on the knowledge of Heinecken's world and life he had developed as the result of direct experience based on his years of working closely with Heinecken as a graduate student, teaching assistant, studio assistant, and personal friend.
- Processing of Interview:
- Jennifer E. Levine, editorial assistant, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Heinecken reviewed the transcript. He verified proper names and made a number of corrections and minor additions. Alex Cline, editor, prepared the table of contents and interview history. Gail Ostergren, editorial assistant, compiled the biographical summary and index.
- 15.8 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.