Interview of Margaret Graham Hills
Ballet dancer and UCLA professor of ballet.
- Tending the Flame: Teaching Classical Ballet in Three Continents
- Biographical Note:
- Ballet dancer and UCLA professor of ballet.
- Hills, Margaret Graham
- Persons Present:
- Hills and Guerard.
- Place Conducted:
- Guerard 's home in Los Angeles.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Genie Guerard; B.A., fine arts, California State University, Northridge; M.L.I.S., UCLA. Guerard prepared for the interview by reviewing literature on the history of the schools and companies of the Sadler's Wells and The Royal Ballet, the Turkish National Ballet School, and the UCLA Department of Dance. She had attended ballet classes taught by Graham Hills since 1978, making note of Graham Hills 's ability to recount in detail teaching, performing, costuming and staging practices she had experienced both in England and in The United States.
- Processing of Interview:
- Genie Guerard edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. The interviewer consulted standard ballet encyclopedias for verification of dance terms. In addition to standard historical references, the interviewer consulted the following for verification of proper names: Wood, Michael, ed. The Sadler's Wells Ballet, 1931-1956: a Record of Twenty-Five Years. Covent Garden Books, no. 9. London: Royal Opera House, 1956. Graham Hills reviewed and approved the transcript. She verified proper names and dance terminology. She made only minor changes for clarity of meaning or for accuracy. Corrections to the text made by Graham Hills upon reviewing the transcript are enclosed in square brackets and footnoted. The interviewer prepared the front matter and the index.
- 8.75 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.