Interview of Ralph D. Cornell
Southern California landscape architect.
- Half a Century as a Southern California Landscape Architect
- Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Design
- Cornell, Ralph D.
- Persons Present:
- Tape I, Side One; Tape II, Side Two; Tapes III-V; Tape VIII: Cornell and Mink; Tape I, Side Two; Tape II, Side One: Cornell and Douglass; Tapes VI and VII: Cornell and Nystrom.
- Place Conducted:
- Powell Library and the grounds and gardens, UCLA.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- Tape I, Side 1; Tape II, Side 2; Tapes III-V; Tape VIII were conducted by James V. Mink; B.A., history; M.S., history, UCLA; B.L.S., UC Berkeley; work towards Ph.D. in history, UC Berkeley, UCLA; Certificate in Administration and Preservation of Archives, American University, Washington, D.C.; Director, UCLA Oral History Program & University Archivist. Tape I, Side Two; Tape II, Side One was conducted by Enid H. Douglass. B.A., government, Pomona College; M.A., government, Claremont Graduate School. Assistant Director, Oral History Program, Claremont Graduate School. Tapes VI and VII were conducted by Richard K. Nystrom; B.S. Beloit College; M.A., art, UCLA; Ph.D., education, UCLA. Chairman, Department of Art, Valley State College.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was done by Ronald Barr, a doctoral candidate in the UCLA English Department, from July to August, 1969, except that Mrs. Douglass edited her portion of the manuscript and returned it to the program in September 1969. During the course of editing, the transcript was thoroughly checked against the original taped interviews. The following manuscript consists of a verbatim transcription of the interviews, edited primarily to obtain correct punctuation, paragraphing and spelling. The spelling of proper names has been verified. The material has been left in the order in which it was spoken on the tape. Minor deletions of repetitive words or phrases have occasionally been made. Words or phrases not actually spoken by the interviewee on tape have been bracketed (except in the case of short connective words). The edited manuscript was returned to the interviewee for his approval and he supplied those proper names which the editors were unable to verify. The index was prepared by Melanie Rangno.
- 10 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.