Interview of Zenna L. Serrurier
Principal and counselor at Romona High School.
- Ramona High School: An Experiment in Education
- Biographical Note:
- Principal and counselor at Romona High School.
- Serrurier, Zenna L.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Elizabeth I. Dixon, Head, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., international relations, University of Southern California: M.L.S., UCLA School of Library Service.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Emigration during childhood to United States; family background in Russia; education in Los Angeles schools; early teaching experiences in Los Angeles; counselor at Edison Junior High School (renamed Ramona High School); principal of Ramona High School, 1948-62; student relationships and problems in Ramona school for troubled girls; attitudes of parents, other school personnel, and police toward innovative efforts under public school auspices to help girls at Ramona with social, educational, emotional, and racial problems; case histories of girls encouraged to lead active, productive lives; associations with two maternity homes in Los Angeles (Florence Crittenden Home and Booth Mem-orial Hospital and Home) in planning, establishing, and organizing school programs.