Interview of Judith R. Holland
UCLA director of women's athletics and president of the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW).
- Irreplaceable Journey
- SportsUCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA Intercollegiate Athletics Staff
- Biographical Note:
- UCLA director of women's athletics and president of the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW).
- Holland, Judith R.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Early interest in sports; moves from Illinois to California; playing sports in high school; learns to be self-reliant; majors in physical education at California State University, Sacramento; obstacles women interested in athletics faced; teaches P.E. at junior high school and high school levels; resolves to speak out about depression in order to help other women; aspires to be an athletic director; serves as director of women's athletics at Cal State Sacramento; works toward Ph.D. at the University of Southern California (USC); women's athletics in the years preceding Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972; the controversy over scholarships for women athletes; the first convention of the Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW); Holland's contribution as president of AIAW; Holland is hired as director of women's athletics at UCLA; succeeds in opening the National College Athletic Association to women; coaches hired by Holland and her relationship with them; recruiting athletes on the basis of both athletic and academic qualifications; the need to know more about the psychological and physical issues faced by women athletes; the athletic department's role in disciplining students and shaping their values; drug testing at UCLA; budget allocations for women's athletics at UCLA; changes in UCLA's athletic department upon the installation of Peter T. Dalis as athletic director; painful budget cuts in UCLA's athletic programs; changes after the men's and women's athletic departments at UCLA merged; Holland's position as director of basketball competition for the 1984 Olympic games; resentment at being passed over for position as director of athletics in 1985; Holland's battle with depression leads to her taking a year's leave; Holland's plans for the future.