Interview of Betye Saar
African American artist.
- African-American Artists of Los Angeles: Betye Saar
- African American Artists of Los Angeles
- African American HistoryArt
- Saar, Betye
- Persons Present:
- Saar and Mason.
- Place Conducted:
- Saar's home in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Karen Anne Mason; B.A., English, Simmons College; M.A., Art History, UCLA.
- Processing of Interview:
- Janet Shiban, editor, Gold Shield intern, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Saar reviewed the transcript. She verified proper names and made minor corrections and additions. Alex Cline, editor, prepared the table of contents. Lisa Magee, editorial assistant, assembled the biographical summary and interview history. Kathleen McAlister, editorial assistant, compiled the index.
- 5.10 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- Interviews in this series document significant African American Artists and others in the Los Angeles metropolitan area who have worked to expand exhibition opportunities and public support for African American visual culture. The series was made possible in part by support from the UCLA Center for African American Studies, Institute of American Cultures.