Interview of William H. Jennings
Attorney and water expert on Southern California water development problems and initiatives.
- William H. Jennings: Water Lawyer
- Oral History of California Water Resources Development
- Urban Planning and Land UseWater Resources
- Biographical Note:
- Attorney and water expert on Southern California water development problems and initiatives.
- Jennings, William H.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series had its origin in a grant from the University of California Water resources Center in 1965. The project was a joint effort by the UCLA Oral History Program and the Regional Oral History Office, University of California, Berkeley. For some years after the close of the grant period, limited interviewing in this area continued.
- Family's move to Point Loma, California, 1887; farming in San Diego County; importance of water resources in development of farms; San Diego Flume Company's water delivery from Cuyamaca Dam washed out by flood, 1916; education in San Diego; World War I naval service; law school in Los Angeles; opens law office in La Mesa, 1931; effects of Depression on San Diego County; Water Development in San Diego County, 1920-40; La Mesa, Lemon Grove, and Spring Valley Irrigation District, forerunner of Helix Water District; proposal to obtain water from Colorado River, 1920s; Swing-Johnson Act authorizing construction of Boulder Dam; considerations of whether San Diego should annex to Metropolitan Water District of Southern California; general counsel for various San Diego irrigation districts; construction of San Diego aqueduct; formation of San Diego Water Authority; evolution of California state water law; north-south water controversy; Feather River Project; shift in control over California water resources; California Water Plan; Southwest regional water plan; changing philosophy of water rights.