Interview of Sherman E. Lee
Director of Cleveland Museum of Art with expertise in Asian art.
- Museum Director
- Art History - Oral Documentation Project
- Lee, Sherman E.
- Persons Present:
- Lee and Gardner.
- Place Conducted:
- Lee's home in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Joel Gardner, Oral Historian, Gardner and Associates; B.A., M.S., French, Tulane University; M.A., Journalism, UCLA.
- Processing of Interview:
- Rebecca Stone, editorial assistant, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Lee reviewed the transcript. He verified proper names and made a number of corrections and additions. Teresa Barnett, principal editor, prepared the table of contents. Alex Cline, editor, assembled the biographical summary. Stone prepared the interview history and compiled the index.
- 20.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series, a cooperative venture between the Oral History Program and the Getty Center for the History of Art and the Humanities, documents a generation of scholars who developed and elaborated paradigms of art history established in the late nineteenth century to forge a twentieth-century discipline.