Interview of George Hoyningen-Huene
Fashion photographer for Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar. Portrait photographer for Hollywood celebrities and motion picture color coordinator.
- George Hoyningen-Huene: Photographer
- Hoyningen-Huene, George
- Place Conducted:
- Hoyningen-Huene's home in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Elizabeth I. Dixon, Head, Oral History Program, UCLA; Age, 48, B.A., International Relations, USC; M.L.S., Library Service, UCLA.
- Processing of Interview:
- The manuscript was edited and indexed by Mrs. Adelaide Tusler.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Childhood in St. Petersburg, Russia; prerevolutionary St. Petersburg society; escape to England; World War I service in British Army; move to Paris; start as fashion illustrator; designing backgrounds for Vogue magazine photographers; Vogue's Paris photographer, 1930; work as fashion photographer, 1930-45; teaching photography at Los Angeles Art Center School; photography of archaeological sites around the world; color design work with motion picture industry in United States and Europe; George Cukor; Jean Negulesco.