Interview of Lynton Kistler
Lithographer known for work with twentieth-century artists.
- The Fine Arts and Lithography in Los Angeles
- Books and Fine Printing
- Kistler, Lynton
- Persons Present:
- Kistler and Ratner. Kistler's wife, Lelah Kistler, was present intermittently.
- Place Conducted:
- Kistler's home in Laguna Hills, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Joanne L. Ratner, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., American studies/art history, Scripps College; M.A., art history/museum studies, University of Southern California. Ratner prepared for the interview by reviewing Kistler's papers at UCLA's William Andrews Clark Memorial Library. These included a selection of Kistler's correspondence dating from 1934 to 1981, the majority of which was between Kistler and the artist Jean Charlot; Kistler's personal collection of books on lithography; and exhibition catalogs, articles, and reviews. In addition, Ratner looked at the UCLA Oral History Program's 1976 interview with artist June Wayne.
- Processing of Interview:
- David P. Gist, editor, edited the interview. He checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Kistler was unable to review the draft transcript. Therefore, Tobey Moss, a gallery owner and expert on California modernist art, reviewed it. She verified proper names and asked Kistler for names and spellings she was unsure of. Teresa Barnett, senior editor, prepared the table of contents, biographical summary, and interview history. Steven J. Novak, editor, compiled the index.
- 12.25 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- TAPE NUMBER: V, Side One (January 24, 1989) Artists he worked with in the thirties--More on working with Charlot--Involvement with Los Angeles art schools.