Interview of Patricia Altman
Co-owner of Altman Antiques and curator of the UCLA Fowler Museum.
- Folk Art and Textile Collections at the Museum of Cultural History
- UCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA Museum Staff
- Altman, Patricia
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Marriage to Ralph C. Altman; Altman Antiques; interest in primitive art in Los Angeles; collectors and dealers in Los Angeles; historical versus anthropological approach to ethnic art; Fred and Barbara Meiers; the definition of folk art; Ralph Altman becomes curator of UCLA's Fowler Museum of Cultural History; Caroline West; collecting in Latin America; the museum's exhibitions; collections acquired; curators and directors; collecting paper cuts; Ukrainian Easter egg dying; textile collections and exhibits; Guatemalan textiles; shifts in textile patterns and colors; folk art and mass production; conservation; the museum's new building; ephemeral art; Elwin V. Svenson's instrumental role in the museum's development.