Interview of Michael Gordon
Play, film, and television director. UCLA professor of theater.
- “Comedy Is No Laughing Matter”
- Film and Television
- Biographical Note:
- Play, film, and television director. UCLA professor of theater.
- Gordon, Michael
- Persons Present:
- Gordon and Dessere.
- Place Conducted:
- Gordon's office in Macgowan Hall, UCLA.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Gerard Dessere; M.F.A., film and television, UCLA. Dessere prepared for the interview by Dessere read Ronald L. Davis's 1981 and 1982 interview with Gordon, taped for Southern Methodist University Oral History Collection on the Performing Arts, viewed as many of Gordon's films as possible, and attended his production of Generation on the UCLA campus. He attended Gordon's Directing for Film class and his Fundamentals of Play Directing class and also consulted programs of plays Gordon had directed on the UCLA campus.
- Processing of Interview:
- Lisa White, editorial assistant, and Steven Novak, editor, edited the interview. They checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Gordon reviewed the transcript. He verified proper names and made minor corrections and additions. Teresa Barnett, senior editor, prepared the table of contents, biographical summary, and interview history. Cathy L. Chambers, Gold Shield intern, compiled the index.
- 24.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.