Interview of Ellis A. Jarvis
Los Angeles superintendent of schools.
- I'm Home Free
- Biographical Note:
- Los Angeles superintendent of schools.
- Jarvis, Ellis A.
- Place Conducted:
- Jarvis's home and UCLA.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Processing of Interview:
- The tapescript was edited by Donald J. Schlppera and indexed by Adelaide O. Tusler.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Childhood in Sutter Creek and Ione, California; Chinese, Indian, Cornish, Italian, and other components of community; family's history in California after 1848; early work experience in gold reduction mill, 1918; study of chemistry at University of California, Berkeley; Joel Hildebrand; careers in teaching in San Pedro High School, 1924-35, administrator at Burroughs and McKinley junior high schools, and superintendent of Los Angeles city schools, 1955-61; contributions in school construction planning, curriculum development, adult education, and educational television; comments on changes in school system, religious observances in schools, progressive education, and contemporary school management.