Interview of John Robertson Quinn
Chair of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors from 1933 to 1935 and Los Angeles County assessor.
- Memoirs of John Robertson Quinn
- Politics and Government
- Quinn, John Robertson
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Elizabeth I. Dixon, Librarian of the Office of Oral History, UCLA.
- Interviewee Retained Copyright
- Youth and education in Northern California; World War I military service; interest in veterans affairs; formation of American Legion; service as national commander, American Legion, 1923; unsuccessful Los Angeles mayoral candidacy, 1929; supported by the Chandlers; chair, Veterans Welfare Board; appointment to Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors, 1930-36; corruption on board of supervisors; San Gabriel Dam construction; Depression in Los Angeles; relief measures; James L. Beebe and Municipal League; Veterans Farm and Home Purchase Act; appointment as Los Angeles County Assessor, 1938; problems and pressure associated with tax assessment; retirement, 1962.