Interview of Henry W. Fiering
Union organizer for the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (UE), Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers International Union, and Federation of Retired Union Members (FORUM).
- The UE, AFSCME, and Militant Trade Unionism
- Social MovementsLabor Movement
- Biographical Note:
- Union organizer for the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America (UE), Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers International Union, and Federation of Retired Union Members (FORUM).
- Fiering, Henry W.
- Persons Present:
- Fiering and Donahoe.
- Place Conducted:
- Fiering's home in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Myrna C. Donahoe, UCLA Oral History Program; Ph.D., UC Irvine. Donahoe prepared for the interview by Donahoe consulting sources from the UE archives at the University of Pittsburgh. She also read a dissertation by Frank Emspak entitled "The Break-Up of the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), 1945-50"; James MatIas's Them and Us: Struggles of a Rank-and-File Union, a history of the UE; and the transcript of an interview with James Matles from the labor archives at Pennsylvania State University.
- Processing of Interview:
- Chana Kai Lee, editor, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Fiering reviewed the transcript. He verified proper names and made a number of corrections and additions. Richard Candida Smith, principal editor, prepared the table of contents. Paul Winters, editorial assistant, prepared the biographical summary and interview history. Teresa Barnett, editor, compiled the index.
- 12.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.