Interview of Elizabeth Hanson
Member of the board of trustees of the Pasadena Art Museum. Co-director of the museum’s California Design exhibitions.
- Pasadena Art Museum: Elizabeth Hanson
- Oral History of the Pasadena Art Museum
- Hanson, Elizabeth
- Persons Present:
- Hanson and Ratner.
- Place Conducted:
- Hanson's home in Pasadena, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Joanne L. Ratner, Researcher/Interviewer, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., American Studies/Art History, Scripps College; M.A. Art History/Museum Studies, University of Southern California. Ratner prepared for the interview by reviewing a variety of materials directly related to the Pasadena Art Museum, including minutes of the Board of Trustees from 1965 to 1974, minutes of the executive committee from 1958 to 1974, calendars of events, exhibition catalogs and reviews, scrapbooks, newspaper and magazine articles, California Design files, and essays, brochures and speeches pertaining to the museum's early history. In addition, Ratner read relevant interviews conducted by the UCLA Oral History Program for its Los Angeles Art Community: Group Portrait series.
- Processing of Interview:
- Virginia Carew, assistant editor, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. The edited transcript was sent to Hanson in July 1989. She made some corrections and additions, verified proper names, and returned the transcript in January 1990. Richard Candida Smith, principal editor, prepared the table of contents. Alex Cline, assistant editor, prepared the biographical summary, and interview history. Teresa Barnett, editor, compiled the index.
- 2.25 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- This series focuses on the history of the Pasadena Museum of Art and its role as a pathbreaking venue for contemporary art in Southern California in the 1960s.