Interview of Gordon Wagner
Assemblage artist and painter.
- California Assemblage Art: Gordon Wagner
- Biographical Note:
- Assemblage artist and painter.
- Wagner, Gordon
- Persons Present:
- Wagner and Smith.
- Place Conducted:
- Tapes I-II, VII-XIV: Wagner's studio in his home in Pasadena, California; Tape III: Tony Portillo's home in San Pedro, California; Tapes IV-V: the gallery at Angel's Gate Cultural Center in San Pedro, California, where a retrospective exhibition covering fifty years of Wagner's work was on display; Tape VI: the Edge Gallery, Fullerton, California, where an exhibition of recently completed assemblages was on display.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Richard Candida Smith, principal edito, Oral History Program, UCLA; B.A., theater arts, UCLA. Smith prepared for the interview by examining Wagner's personal papers, including a clipping file and several volumes of diaries.
- Processing of Interview:
- Jacqueline Wester, assistant editor, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Wagner reviewed the edited transcript in September 1987. He made minor corrections and checked the spellings of the many persons mentioned in the course of the interview. Wester prepared the table of contents. Lisa Magee White, editorial assistant, prepared the index. The interviewer prepared the biographical summary and the interview history.
- 17.75 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.