Interview of Fred Meiers
Art collector of Mexican folk art. Donor to the UCLA Museum of Cultural History and the Mingei International Museum of World Folk Art.
- Collecting the Folk Arts of Mexico
- Meiers, Fred
- Persons Present:
- Meiers, Smith, and Barbara Meiers.
- Place Conducted:
- Meiers's' home in Palos Verdes, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Richard Candida Smith, principal editor, Oral History Program, UCLA; B.A., theater arts, UCLA. Smith prepared for the interview by reviewing files and papers provided by the Meiers, reading background materials on Mexican folk arts and crafts, and discussing the Meiers Collection with Patricia B. Altman of the UCLA Museum of Cultural History and with Rocky Behr of the Folk Tree, a crafts shop in Pasadena, California.
- Processing of Interview:
- Diane Ju, assistant editor, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. The interview transcript was sent to the Meiers in December 1987. They carefully checked for accuracy of names and spellings. They made minor corrections, and returned the transcript in January 1988. The interviewer prepared the front matter. Lisa Magee White, editorial assistant, prepared the index.
- 13.25 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.