Interview of Pia Gilbert
German émigré and UCLA professor of dance.
- Life in Several Keys
- Biographical Note:
- German émigré and UCLA professor of dance.
- Gilbert, Pia
- Persons Present:
- Gilbert and Smith.
- Place Conducted:
- Tapes I to XVII: Gilbert's apartment in Westwood Village, California; Tape XVIII: Gilbert's room at the Brentwood Inn in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Richard Candida Smith, Principal Editor, Oral History Program, UCLA. B.A., theater arts, UCLA. Smith prepared for the interview by examining the Pia Gilbert Archives at the Music Library, UCLA. He audited several sessions of her classes, Dance 132 and 232 (Philosophical Bases and Trends in Dance), and Dance 120 and 221 (Music Analysis for Dance). He discussed Gilbert's career with associates and colleagues at UCLA.
- Processing of Interview:
- Jacqueline Wester, assistant editor, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Gilbert reviewed and approved the edited transcript. She made only minor changes for clarity of meaning or for accuracy. The interviewer prepared the front matter. Gary White, editor, prepared the index.
- 24.25 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.