Interview of S. Charles Lee (1987)
Architect known primarily for designing motion picture theaters.
- The Show Started on the Sidewalk
- Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Design
- Lee, S. Charles
- Persons Present:
- Lee and Valentine.
- Place Conducted:
- Lee's office in Beverly Hills, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Martha Valentine, UCLA Oral History Program; archivist, Department of Special Collections, University Research Library, UCLA; B.A., American history, California State University, Northridge; Ph.D. candidate, UCLA School of Architecture and Urban Planning. Valentine prepared for the interview by conducting extensive research on Lee and his work for her dissertation. She also cataloged the Lee Collection in the Department of Special Collections, University Research Library, UCLA.
- Processing of Interview:
- Teresa Barnett edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, spelling, and verified proper nouns. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. The final manuscript remains in the same order as the taped material. In October 1986, the edited transcript was submitted to Lee along with a list of queries and names requiring identification. He returned the approved transcript in December of the same year. Lee made a few corrections for clarity and spelling. Richard Candida Smith, principal editor, and Martha Valentine compiled the index, table of contents, biographical summary, and interview history.
- 2.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.