Interview of Alice McGrath (1984-85)
Activist. Executive secretary for the Sleepy Lagoon Defense Committee and volunteer for the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO).
- The Education of Alice McGrath
- Latina and Latino HistorySocial MovementsSleepy Lagoon CaseCivil Liberties
- McGrath, Alice
- Persons Present:
- McGrath and Balter.
- Place Conducted:
- McGrath's home in Ventura, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Michael S. Balter, UCLA Oral History Program. B.A., biology, San Jose State University; M.A., biology, UCLA. Balter prepared for the interview by examining Collection 107 in the UCLA Library, Department of Special Collections. This collection include s papers on the Sleepy Lagoon Defense Committee, McGrath's personal papers including her FBI file, and various secondary sources on the Sleepy Lagoon Defense Committee.
- Processing of Interview:
- Teresa Barnett, editorial assistant, edited the interview. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings, edited for punctuation, paragraphing, and spelling, and verified proper names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. In March 1985 the edited transcript was given to McGrath along with a list of queries and names requiring identification. She returned the approved transcript in April of the same year. Diane H. Ju, editorial assistant, prepared the front matter and index
- 16.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.