Interview of John Lautner (1982)
Mid-century modern Southern California-based architect.
- Responsibility, Infinity, Nature
- Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Design
- Lautner, John
- Persons Present:
- Lautner and Laskey.
- Place Conducted:
- Lautner's office in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Marlene L. Laskey, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., political science, UCLA; has researched, organized, and conducted architectural tours of Los Angeles. Laskey prepared for the interview by reviewing several articles on Lautner's work. She was unable to view any of the local houses since most of them are secluded and inaccessible.
- Processing of Interview:
- Carey Southall edited the interview. He checked the verbatim transcript against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, spelling, and verified proper nouns. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. The final manuscript remains in the same order as the taped material. In September 1985, the edited transcript was submitted to Lautner along with a list of queries and names requiring identification. He returned the approved transcript in December of the same year. Lautner made only a few corrections for clarity and spelling. Jacqueline Wester, editorial assistant, compiled the index, table of contents, biographical summary, and interview history.
- 6.25 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.