Interview of Marva Shearer
Member of the UCLA Art Council and docent at Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
- Serving the UCLA Art Public
- UCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA Museum Staff
- Shearer, Marva
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewee Retained Copyright
- Early exposure to art; Wellesley College; Peppino Mangravitti; Zola Haliburton Rex, the Wellesley Club, and joining UCLA Art Council; Gallery Guides group; Thieves Market projects; work with House Beautiful magazine; working as docent at Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Jack Carter at UCLA; selection and training of exhibition guides; guiding tours for vision-impaired viewers; Museum of Cultural History shows; Matisse retrospective exhibition; Palmer Ducommun; Katherine White and Robert Thompson; school field trips to UCLA exhibitions; African Art in Motion show; Lillian Weiner, Judy Murphy, and Katherine White; Frederick S. Wight and The Negro in American Art exhibition; Noah Purifoy and Judson Powell; Los Angeles Times, Henry Seldis, and William Wilson; Los Angeles Herald-Examiner reviews; Hani Mori and Birds, Beasts, Blossoms, and Bugs: The Nature of Japan show; June Wayne lithographs; Jacques Lipchitz and Varian Fry; Lipchitz retrospective at UCLA; LeRoy Davidson and Indian Subcontinent Art from Los Angeles Collections, 1968; the Harry Lenarts; Stendahl Gallery; Carole Magnuson and Art Council publicity for UCLA galleries; Robert H. Gray and combined efforts with Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Edith Tonelli; Art Council members: Frances Brody, Jo Ann Ganz, Barbara Poe; Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden; Helen Wolford; Betty Faris; Jackie Leisure and naming of Frederick S. Wight Art Gallery; Charles and Carmela Speroni; Gerald Nordland; gallery directorships.