Interview of Gifford Phillips
Magazine publisher, real estate developer, and patron of the arts.
- Approaches to Art Collecting
- Phillips, Gifford
- Persons Present:
- Phillips and Goodwin.
- Place Conducted:
- Tape I: Phillips home in Santa Monica, California; Tapes II to IV: Phillip's office.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by George M. Goodwin, freelance consultant, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., art history, Lake Forest College; M.A., art history, Columbia University; Ph.D., art education, Stanford University. Goodwin prepared for the interview by reading periodical articles and reviewed the catalog of the 1968 University of California, Santa Barbara, exhibition "A Selection of Paintings from the 50s and 60s from the Collection of Gifford and Joann Phillips."
- Processing of Interview:
- Bernard Galm, senior editor, checked a verbatim transcript against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, spelling, and verification of proper nouns. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. The final manuscript remains in the same order as the taped material. Mr. Phillips reviewed the edited transcript and made minor corrections. George Hodak, editorial assistant, prepared the table of contents, interview history, and index.
- 6 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.