Interview of Fred Okrand
Legal director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU).
- Forty Years Defending the Constitution
- Social MovementsCivil Liberties
- Okrand, Fred
- Persons Present:
- Balter and Okrand. Mrs. Okrand occasionally sat in.
- Place Conducted:
- Okrand's home in Van Nuys, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Michael S. Balter, interviewer/editor, Oral History Program; B.A., biology, San Jose State University; M.A., biology, UCLA. Balter prepared for the interview by working for the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California as a paralegal and press officer during the time the interviews were conducted.
- Processing of Interview:
- The verbatim transcript was edited by Program staff editors Rick Harmon (Tapes 1-13) and Cheri Derby (Tapes 13-19). The manuscript was checked for accuracy and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, spelling, and verification of proper names. The final manuscript retains the same order as the taped material. Words or phrases introduced by the editors have been bracketed. Mr. Okrand reviewed and approved the edited transcript, making minor corrections and deletions and supplying spellings of names not previously verified. The index was prepared by Program Principal Editor Richard C. Smith. The introduction was written by Michael Balter. Front matter was assembled by Program staff.
- 19 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.