Interview of Irving Blum
Owner of the Ferus Gallery and the Irving Blum Gallery.
- At the Ferus Gallery
- Blum, Irving
- Persons Present:
- Tape I: Blum and Phillips; Tapes II to V: Blum and Weschler.
- Place Conducted:
- Tape I: Phillips's home in Santa Monica, California; Tapes II to V: Brooke Hayward's home in Hollywood hills, California and Blum's art-collector cousin, Merle Glick's home in Beverly Hills, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Joann Philips, Editor-Interviewer, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., UC Santa Barbara. The interview was conducted by Lawrence Weschler, Assistant Editor, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., philosophy and cultural history, UC Santa Cruz. Weschler prepared for the interview by using the Newport Harbor Museum's "Last Time I Saw Ferus" catalog and his general knowledge of the Ferus Gallery gleaned from other interviews and the editing of interviews with Edward Kienholz, Robert Irwin, Craig Kauffman, et cetera.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was done by Deborah Young, assistant editor. She checked the verbatim transcript against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, spelling, and verification of proper nouns. Words and phrases inserted by the editor for clarity have been bracketed. The manuscript was reviewed and approved by Blum. The index was prepared by Rebecca Torres, administrative assistant. The introduction was written by Weschler. Other front matter was prepared by Program staff.
- 6.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.