Interview of John B. Jackson (1984)
Manager of UCLA Publications Service and executive director of the UCLA Alumni Association.
- Devoted Alumnus: John B. Jackson
- UCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA AdministrationUCLA Student Leaders
- Jackson, John B.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Freshman year at the University of California, Southern Branch; football at the Southern Branch; Ernest Carroll Moore and Psychology X; faculty at the Southern Branch; student life at the Southern Branch; William Spaulding comes to the Southern Branch; working on the yearbook; graduation; writing for William Fox Studios; working for Carl A. Bundy Quill and Press; working with colleges and universities on yearbooks; editing the Southern Alumnus; relations with the Berkeley Alumni Association; a phone call from Edward A. Dickson; working for the UCLA Alumni Association; difficulties on the job; expanding membership; the evolution of the alumni magazine; Alumni Association scholarship fund-raisers; academic homecoming; twenty-fifth anniversary of the campus; UCLA during the war years; fall homecoming; Rose Bowl showdown; homecoming programs; fighting for the parade; alumni tours and house parties; the president's tours; humorous incidents at the Alumni Association office; participation on the student executive council; Associated Students UCLA student government; beginning of football rivalry with University of Southern California (USC); hiring John R. Wooden and Red Sanders; sportscaster Al Santoro; the Red Sanders salary vote; the Royce Hall concert series; the Kerckhoff Hall dedication; Southern Alumnus football issue; wartime football; football highlight films; Alumnus of the Year Award; Charter Day dinners; the American Alumni Council; Bruin Clubs; alumni involvement in athletic recruiting; UCLA's thirtieth birthday celebration; qualities of the ideal alumni secretary; alumni secretaries through the years; struggle for a School of Engineering at UCLA; the early days of the School of Engineering; the effort to build a medical school at UCLA; the effort to build a law school at UCLA; organizing the Friends of the UCLA Library; names of UCLA buildings; Alumni Association scholarships; residence halls at UCLA; the alumni-varsity basketball game; 1939 football jamboree and USC-UCLA ticket drawing; student council reunion; wartime incidents; the Rose Bowl withdrawal issue; Ed Hummel and the Celts; the 1947 Rose Bowl and Alumni Association growth; various trophies; USC-UCLA Good Sportsmanship Luncheons; alumni Rose Bowl tickets; founding of the UCLA Art Council; founding of the UCLA Law Alumni and Business School Alumni; first UCLA football game televised to Southern California; Raymond B. Allen meets Ernest Carroll Moore; going to work for Walt Disney Studio; Disney books and magazines; back to UCLA in the office of publications; developing a new faculty handbook; Alumni Association distinguished service award.