Interview of Alma Hawkins
Founder UCLA Department of Dance, the nation’s first dance department.
- Creating the UCLA Department of Dance
- UCLA and University of California HistoryDanceUCLA Faculty
- Hawkins, Alma
- Persons Present:
- Snyder and Hawkins.
- Place Conducted:
- Hawkins's home in Santa Monica, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Allegra Fuller Snyder, B.A., dance, Bennington College; M.A., dance, UCLA. UCLA professor of dance since 1967; chairwoman of department 1974-80, succeeding Dr. Hawkins.
- Processing of Interview:
- Sylvia Tidwell, editor, edited the interview. The verbatim transcript was checked against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, spelling, and verification of proper nouns. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Professor Pia Gilbert of the UCLA Department of Dance wrote the introduction. D. P. Gist, editorial assistant, assembled the index, table of contents, and interview history.
- 8.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.