Interview of Yvonne Brathwaite Burke
Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1973 to 1979. Member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors from 1979 to 1980 and 1992 to 2008.
- New Arenas of Black Influence
- Politics and GovernmentAfrican American History
- Burke, Yvonne Brathwaite
- Persons Present:
- Burke and Edgington.
- Place Conducted:
- Burke's office in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Steven Edgington, researcher/editor, California State University, Fullerton, Oral History Program; B.A., history, M.A., social sciences, CSUF. Edgington prepared for the interview by reading articles from the California Journal (1970-1974), Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, and Sacramento Bee. The Sacramento Newsletter, a weekly political report, provided important chronological listings. Edgington also consulted articles and interviews in black periodicals, such as Ebony and Sepia, and standard political biographies in various editions of the Blue Book of the State of California and the Handbook of the California Legislature.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was done by Bernard Galm, senior editor, Oral History Program. He checked the verbatim typed transcript against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, correct spelling, and verification of proper and place names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Burke reviewed and approved the edited transcript. She made minor emendations. She supplied spellings of names not previously verified and clarified statements that were either inaudible or unclear in meaning. Mitch Tuchman, acting director, Oral History Program, reviewed the edited transcript before it was typed in final form. Edgington wrote the introduction. Galm prepared the front matter and the index.
- 1.75 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.