Interview of Neil Reagan
Brother of Ronald Reagan.
- Private Dimensions and Public Images: The Early Political Career of Ronald Reagan
- Governmental History Documentation Project - Ronald Reagan Era
- Politics and Government
- Reagan, Neil
- Persons Present:
- Reagan and Stern.
- Place Conducted:
- Neil Reagan, Rancho Santa Fe, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Stephen Stern, Senior Editor, UCLA Oral History Program; Ph.D., Folklore, Indiana University.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was done by Bernard Galm, Senior Editor, Oral History Program. He checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, correct spelling, and verification of proper and place names. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Reagan reviewed the manuscripts and approved the edited transcript. He made minor corrections and provided or confirmed spelling of names that had not been verified previously. The final manuscript remains in the same order as the original taped material. Mitch Tuchman, Senior Editor, Oral History Program, reviewed the edited transcript before it was typed in final form. Members of the Oral History staff prepared the index. Stephen Stern wrote the introduction.
- 3 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.
- Series Statement:
- Interviews in this series were undertaken by the UCLA Oral History Program in conjunction with similar efforts at the University of California, Berkeley, Regional Oral History Office; Claremont Graduate School Oral History Program; California State University, Fullerton, Oral History Program; and the University of California, Davis, Oral History Project. Funds were provided by the state legislature through the office of the state archivist. The project was an outgrowth of earlier efforts of the Regional Oral History Office to document Earl Warren, Goodwin Knight and Edmund G. "Pat Brown, Sr., eras in California politics. All interviews in the series are deposited at each of the participating institutions and at the California State Archives in Sacramento. A full listing of interviews on the Reagan era can be located at the Regional Oral History Office. Individual efforts are listed in the catalogs of the various participating programs.
Ronald Reagan's high school days--Relationship between Reagan brothers--Neil Reagan's radio career.
Neil Reagan's entry into advertising--"Death Valley Days"--Political involvement in Ronald Reagan's acting career--The gubernatorial campaign.
"Building" an image--Ronald Reagan and the Kitchen Cabinet--Nancy Reagan's influence on her husband--Neil Reagan and Barry Goldwater's TV campaign.
TV and the candidate--Election night 1980.