Interview of William M. Cheney
Printer and printing press owner. Member of the Rounce & Coffin Club.
- The Natural History of a Los Angeles Typesticker
- Books and Fine Printing
- Biographical Note:
- Printer and printing press owner. Member of the Rounce & Coffin Club.
- Cheney, William M.
- Persons Present:
- Cheney, Docter, and Mrs. Cheney.
- Place Conducted:
- Cheney's apartment in West Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Richard F. Docter, freelance consultant to the Oral History Program, UCLA; B.A., UC Santa Barbara; Ph.D., psychology, Stanford; professor of psychology, California State University, Northridge; hobby printer and member of the Rounce and Coffin Club.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was done by Deborah Young, assistant editor. Oral History Program. She checked the verbatim transcript of the interview against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, correct spelling, and verification of proper nouns. The final manuscript remains in the same order as the original taped material. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Cheney reviewed the edited transcript and answered the editor's queries. Edwin H. Carpenter, bibliographer and author of A Natural History of the Typestickers of Los Angeles, Compiled from the Letters of Wm. H. Cheney by Edwin H. Carpenter, wrote the introduction. (He also spotted some typographical and factual errors in the finished manuscript, which were subsequently corrected.) Other front matter and the index were prepared by Oral History Program staff.
- 4 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.