Interview of Robert G. Cowan
Author of books on California history and owner of the LaCal Stamp Company, a philatelic business. Interviewed because of connection to Robert E. Cowan, publisher of bibliographies and works on early California history.
- California Bibliographers: Father and Son
- Books and Fine Printing
- Cowan, Robert G.
- Persons Present:
- Tapes I and III: Cowan and Gardner; Tape II: Cowan, Gardner, and Rebecca Andrade who operated the camera.
- Place Conducted:
- Tapes I and III: Cowan's home in Los Angeles, California; Tape II: William Andrews Clark Memorial Library in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Joel Gardner, Senior Editor, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., M.A., French, Tulane University; M.A., journalism, UCLA. Gardener prepared for the interview by seeking biographical information on Robert E. Cowan. His papers, housed in the UCLA Library's Department of Special Collections, provided a rich source and also re-created the back- ground, San Francisco at the turn of the century. The interviewer then consulted the works of both Cowans.
- 3 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.