Interview of Louis Epstein
Founder and owner of Louis Epstein's Bookshops, Argonaut Bookshop, and the Pickwick.
- The Way It Was: Fifty Years in the Southern California Book Trade
- Books and Fine Printing
- Epstein, Louis
- Persons Present:
- Gardner and Epstein. Mrs. Epstein assisted at the interviews on several occasions. Bernard Galm, director of the Program, operated the camera for the video session.
- Place Conducted:
- Epstein's home in Hollywood, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Joel R. Gardner, Editor-Interviewer, UCLA Oral History Program; B.A., M.A., French, Tulane University; M.A., journalism, UCLA. Garnder prepared for the interview by researching materials at materials from the UCLA Library's Department of Special Collections pertaining to the local book trade.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was performed by Joel Gardner, who checked the verbatim transcript for accuracy and edited it for punctuation, paragraphing, spelling, and verification of proper names. The final manuscript remains in the same order as the taped material. Words or phrases introduced by the editor have been bracketed. Epstein reviewed and approved the edited transcript, He made minor corrections and deletions, and provided or confirmed spellings of names that had not been verified previously. Lawrence Weschler, Assistant Editor, UCLA Oral History Program, prepared the index. Gardner wrote the introduction. Front matter was assembled by the Program staff.
- 19.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.