Interview of Edwin H. Carpenter
Western American bibliographer at the Huntington Library. Collector of hand presses of California and the western United States.
- Education of a Bibliophile
- Books and Fine Printing
- Carpenter, Edwin H.
- Persons Present:
- Carpenter, Axe, and Mr. Axe.
- Place Conducted:
- Ruth Axe's home in Los Angeles, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by Ruth Axe, author and former secretary to the late Henry R. Wagner; B.A., German, UCLA. M.A., German, University of Southern California.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was done by Helen Lynda Kimmel, assistant editor, UCLA Oral History Program. The verbatim transcript of the interview was checked against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, correct spelling, and verification of proper and place names. Words and names inserted by the editor have been bracketed. The final manuscript remains in the same chronological order as the taped material. The manuscript has been arranged by sessions rather than tapes because the individual sessions were not recorded sequentially onto the tapes. Mr. Carpenter reviewed and approved the edited transcript of the interview. He made minor corrections, additions, and deletions; he also supplied spellings of names that had not been verified previously. Betty Bose, graduate student, UCLA School of Library and Information Science, prepared the index. The introduction was written by Andrew H. Horn, former dean of the UCLA School of Library and Information Science. Joel Gardner, editor. Oral History Program, reviewed the manuscript before it was typed in final form.
- 7.5 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.