Interview of Franklin D. Murphy (1976)
- My UCLA Chancellorship: An Utterly Candid View
- UCLA and University of California HistoryUCLA Administration
- Biographical Note:
- UCLA chancellor.
- Murphy, Franklin D.
- Persons Present:
- Tapes I to II, Side One and tape IV: Murphy and Mink; Tapes II, Side Two to Tape III: Murphy, Mink, and Mrs. (Judy) Murphy; Tape V: Muphy, Mink, and Joel Gardner to operate the video equipment.
- Place Conducted:
- Murphy's home library in Beverly Hills, California.
- Supporting Documents:
- Records relating to the interview are located in the office of the UCLA Library's Center for Oral History Research.
- Interviewer Background and Preparation:
- The interview was conducted by James V. Mink, University Archivist and Head, Department of Special Collections, UCLA Library; B.A., M.A., history, UCLA; B.L.S., UC Berkeley; Certificate in Archival Administration and Preservation, American University, Washington, D.C. Mink prepared for the interview by pursuing scrapbooks and records from the Office of the Chancellor and sought questions from university associates of Franklin Murphy, such as Andrew Hamilton, former director of the Office of Public Information.
- Processing of Interview:
- Editing was done by Joel Gardner, editor, UCLA Oral History Program. The verbatim transcript of the interview was checked against the original tape recordings and edited for punctuation, paragraphing, correct spelling, and verification of proper and place names. The final manuscript remains in the same order as the original taped material. Words and phrases inserted by the editor have been bracketed. Murphy reviewed and approved the edited transcript of his interview. He made minor corrections and deletions and also supplied spellings of names that had not been verified previously. Joel Gardner compiled the index and prepared other front matter. Robert Vosper, former university librarian at both the University of Kansas and UCLA, wrote the introduction. The manuscript was reviewed by the interviewer and by Bernard Galm, director of the Program, before it was typed in final form.
- 8.25 hrs.
- Regents of the University of California, UCLA Library.